Friday, April 8, 2011

On Peer Editing

Hello, colleagues!  Today's post is not a philosophical rambling but, rather, a potential request.  As some of my followers know, I have been engaged in research and writing for a master's degree in philosophy for about eight months now.  As of the moment, I am coming into the home stretch of completing a full draft of my thesis and I have been blessed to have several friends provide me with feedback on the work so far (especially since my supervisor has been slow to give me any criticism on the first ten pages I sent him back in February).

This brings me to today's request:  I am looking for more possible proofreaders, critics, and interested thinkers to give my thesis a look-over starting in the next month or so.  Specifically, I am looking for readers who have any or all of the following:

-A background in philosophy, political science, psychology, anthropology, pre-Qin Chinese culture, and/or ethics in general
-A background in literary analysis and criticism (I need structure as much as I need content)
-A background in formatting academic papers (if you have written a thesis that was accepted, you qualify)
-An interest in the topics of classical Confucianism and how cultural practices structure ethical dimensions
-An understanding that using anything from my manuscript (published or not) constitutes plagiarism (not saying any of you will do that, but I want this to be stated explicitly)
-The ability to give feedback in a timely manner

If you are interested, feel free to let me know and we can discuss the subject.  I cannot afford to pay anyone; this would be strictly volunteer work.  The only rewards you would receive would be my gratitude and some (hopefully) interesting, new ideas.  I am not expecting any replies to this post, and I am grateful to those who are already assisting me with this project (you will be cited in the acknowledgments :) ).

1 comment: